Set up in 1972, Age UK Gateshead is an independent autonomous local Charity and a member of the national Age England Association. (We changed our name from Age Concern Gateshead to Age UK Gateshead in May 2011 to become a local brand partner of the national charity Age UK which was formed after the merger of Age Concern England and Help the Aged.) We are a registered Charity and a Company Limited by Guarantee, operating across the Metropolitan Borough of Gateshead, and are governed by a Management Committee who are Trustees of the Charity. We currently have 18 employed staff and 145 volunteers.
Our aims are:
- to reduce social isolation
- to enable older people to have an adequate income
- to enable older people to live independently
- to provide & promote access to opportunities, activities and services which increase older people's physical and emotional wellbeing
- to campaign & raise awareness of issues concerning older people.