Vision To promote equality, inclusion and economic independence for Black and Minority Ethnic women and children in the North East
Mission The Angelou Centre offers 'women only', community-based provision to advance economic and social independence for women, who are excluded due to disadvantages of race, gender and age.
We aim to achieve this through:
- Developing projects and activities to promote women's economic inclusion
- Engaging in strategic partnerships, networks and consortia to ensure access, appropriate service provision, progression and achievement for women
- Empowering and enabling women to reach their full potential: economically, socially and politically
- Supporting Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic and Refugee women regardless of their age, ethnicity, means, physical ability, religion, sexual orientation or status.
- Providing a supportive, non-judgmental environment.
- Delivering services that are linguistically appropriate, sensitive to and respectful of their culture and religious beliefs.
- Challenging women’s oppression within cultures and communities.
- Maintaining confidentiality and respecting their privacy.
- Providing information and support to women and encouraging them to make their own choices about their lives.
- Encouraging women to exercise their rights and participate fully in decisions affecting their lives.
- Being proactive in preventing poverty, abuse, isolation, and dependency.